The Museum of Local History was founded in 1928 by the Association for History and Gothaische archeology and received in the west tower of the castle Friedenstein be applied to. The extensive collections on the history and culture of the Gotha country be preserved to this day and is constantly expanding.
The permanent exhibition presents 100 thousand years history of the region. Exhibits, reconstructions and performances provide insight into the different spheres of life of the people and explain political developments and structures.
Special "individual exhibits are the casemates of the Northwest Bastion, part of the baroque fortifications of the castle Friedenstein and especially the Ekhof theater in west tower of the castle Friedenstein.